Forest Fire Tower/Seneca Point Overlook:
The 87.5-foot fire tower built in 1929 gave firefighters a 15-20 mile view of the
area. The tower retired from service in 1966.
Periodically, the box on the top
of the tower is open during interpretive programs. Visitors can park their cars
and walk a short distance to Seneca Point Overlook and the firetower for a magnificent
view of the Clarion River valley from an elevation of 1600 feet American Indians used the sandstone of the Seneca Point Overllok area to grind seeds
and grains. Look for unnatural indentations in thh stone used for these "Indian
River Cabins, Indian Cabins, Log Cabin Inn and the Old
In the 1930's, the CCC constructed these buildings from salvaged American chestnut
killed by the blight. These buildings are on the National Register of Historic
Built in 1950 on Longfellow Trail, the fountain was dedicated to the original
Cook Forest Association. The Association was instrumental in raising additional
funds needed to purchase the land from A. Cook Sons Company.
Cobbtown and Bracket Dams:
A walk along the four miles of Tom's Run, starting at Picnic Pavilion #2, can
take you back to the hectic, rowdy days of the 1800's logging boom. Although time
and nature have erased much of the past, a keen-eyed observer can still find clues.
Stone and earthen foundations of bracket dams can be found
along the banks of Tom's Run. Bracket dams created an artificial flood to raise
the water level for floating logs to the Clarion River. Three miles up Tom's Run
are the scant remains of Cobbtown, one of many temporary logging boomtowns.
Seneca Trail Mineral Springs:
Along Seneca Trail, about .25 miles from the PA 36 entrance at Cooksburg, little
remains of the natural mineral springs that produced waters with white sulfur
and iron. These springs were popular in the early 1900's. A boardwalk fringed
by gaslights was lit 24 hours a day while visitors bathed and drank the spring
waters believed to have curative powers.